Labels

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sec 3 Oil Painting























This is my sec 3 oil painting project. I was suppose to paint something about Nanyang in the post impressionism style. While, for post impressionism, the first artist that came to my mind was Van Gogh. I realized that in his painting, "Church of Auvres", the church seems to be a little similar to Nanyang's clock tower. So, I decided to change the tower into Nanyang's clock tower and the woman in the painting into a nanyang girl.

It is rather hard to copy Van Gogh's style of painting as when you are painting, you need to be emotional and confident at the same time. At that time, I also did not know exactly how much paint did he really applied on the canvas. That's why it was very hard for me to decide how thick I should apply me paint. The other challenge I faced was to make the nanyang clock tower look like the church. The structure of the 2 buildings are rather different, hence I had a hard time trying to fit the clock tower into my painting.

Applying thick layers of paint on the canvas is an important part too. I enjoyed applying thick layers of paint on my canvas and by doing so, it gave my painting a unique texture that only oil paint can give. I think I am more suitable painting oil paints in this style as I do not need to be too precise and accurate when I paint. I think I prefer working works in a faster pace.

This experience has also allowed me to be more confident in oil painting and has set a good foundation for me to continue oil painting this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment